Last modified: 2015-04-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: knickerbocker yacht club | united states yacht club | new york |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 27 May 2014
The Knickerbocker Yacht Club was founded in 1874, originally on the Harlem River. In its early years it moved several times, but in 1907 it settled in Port Washington, though 1921 saw one final move to their new club house on Main Street. For more than a century it encouraged "Yachting and the cultivation of naval Science and Seamanship". Its members were the owners of anything from small dinghies to above-60m yachts, with the club being home to more than 150 yachts in its heydays. Dwindling membership caused the club to close down in 2009.
The club burgee was approximately 2:3, red with a white cross bearing at its centre a blue star.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 27 May 2014