Last modified: 2014-10-06 by rick wyatt
Keywords: jones county | texas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
located by Jarig Bakker
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Jones County:
"Named for: Anson Jones (1798-1858), Fourth (Last) President of TexasJarig Bakker, 30 December 2001
County Seat: Anson Area: 931 square miles Pop. (2000): 20,785
The flag of Jones County was presented to the Commissioners' Court by Sarah Boaz and Joan Fry in anticipation of the County's centennial. It was adopted on 8 June 1981. The flag is blue with a red border. The border is decorated with reproductions of early Jones County cattle brands, in white. The field of the flag displays the face of a longhorn steer, an oil well, a cotton boll, and a caduceus, all in white with red highlights, and three yellow stalks of wheat.
While most of the elements of this flag are self-evident in their meanings, the caduceus is a novel symbol. Its use here recalls the County's history of medical self-sufficiency and good hospitals. The only known example of this flag is framed and mounted in the Courthouse in Anson."