Last modified: 2012-05-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: hockley county | texas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by David Pawson, 2 July 2006
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Hockley County:
Named for Gen. George W. Hockley (1802-1854), Republic of Texas Secretary of War
County Seat: Levelland Area: 908 square miles Pop. (2000): 22,716
When the Retired Senior Volunteer Program realized that Hockley County was without a flag, they proposed to have one that would depict the county's natural resources created in time for the Texas Sesquicentennial. With these criteria in mind, Lonnie Joe Howell, a local artist, was invited to design a flag. It bears, on a white field, four red stars, one in each corner, each bearing a blue-and-white charge. These are, clockwise from the top left: a cotton boll, representing agriculture; the head of a longhorn steer, for ranching; an oil derrick, for mineral wealth; and an open book, for the schools. The center of the flag is occupied by a blue windmill, a symbol of water and water power in Texas. The rudder of the mill shows the Texas State Flag. Around the vanes are the legends, in blue-border yellow block letters, "Texas" and "Hockley County."
Although in use since 1986, there seems to be no record that the flag was officially adopted by the Commissioners' Court.
David Pawson, 2 July 2006