This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

East Hampton, New York (U.S.)

Suffolk County

Last modified: 2011-10-28 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | east hampton | suffolk county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Village of East Hampton, New York] image located by Ned Smith, 29 April 2008

See also:

Town of East Hampton

A very clear photo of the Town flag at The flag is white with the town seal in the center- with an outer ring of gold w blue lettering, and an inner image of white and blue. Above the seal is a gold ribbon with blue lettering EAST HAMPTON TOWN and below the seal another such ribbon with the phrase SETTLED 1648.

There is a black and white image of the seal at
Ned Smith, 29 April 2008

Detail of seal

[Flag of Village of East Hampton, New York] image located by Ned Smith, 29 April 2008

On letterhead, the Town uses a black and white and on Town buildings a black and gold colour scheme is employed. The Town flag uses a blue instead of black with gold. The seal is enclosed in a gold circle with the following legends in black: "EAST HAMPTON TOWN, N.Y. (on the top half). The bottom half reads, left to right: SAG HARBOR . WAINSCOTT . EAST HAMPTON . SPRINGS . AMAGANSETT. MONTAUK. This placement reflects the geographic locations of the villages and Town as one traverses down-island from west to east. The inner circle is black or blue (Gardiner's Bay, Georgica Pond, Lake Montauk, Block Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean). Facing Southwest to Northeast is the south fork of Long Island, including Gardiner's Island (coloured gold). In black or blue print appear the names and boundaries of the six villages and hamlets. Above Gardiner's Island are two gold circles (black or blue in between). This signifies a compass bearing north. The compass may represent either or all of the following: the association of John Gardiner, Lord of the Manor of Gardiner's Island, with Captain William Kidd (the pirate), Sag Harbor's whaling industry, or today's commercial fishing fleet based on Montauk. Below the peninsula appear a sketch of Hook Mill (in East Hampton) and the Montauk Lighthouse with “Settled 1648” under the lighthouse. These are outlined in both gold on black or blue.
Daniel S. Padovano, 23 July 2006 Updated July 19, 2009,
modified by Ned Smith, 20 July 2009

Village of East Hampton

[Flag of Village of East Hampton, New York] image by Jens Pattke, 16 October 2005

The flag of the Village of East Hampton can be seen at, being a seal on a white field. An image of the seal can be seen at

The Village of East Hampton is an incorporated part of the Town of East Hampton, Suffolk County, NY
Ned Smith, 15 October 2005

The Village's shield is based on the shield used by Maidstone, Kent, UK. The village's original settlers were from Maidstone and the surrounding area in Kent. The Village was settled in 1648. East Hampton was originally called Maidstone by the settlers in 1648, reflecting their city of origin. The name was changed to East Hampton towards the end of the 17th century. The name Maidstone survives with several street and road names, two bed and breakfasts / motels and one very exclusive country club. The Village’s flag bears the seal in full colours on a field of white. The coat of arms are those of William Courtenay, Archbishop of Canterbury (d. 1396). His eminence is credited with founding Maidstone (U.K.) His family arms bear three torteaux gules upon a field or. The shield was adopted by Maidstone in 1619, with the addition of a fesse azure denoting the River Medway which flows through Maidstone. The shield's chief bears a lion passant or on a field gules, signifying a royal charter. The Village of East Hampton's shield differs in that the lion passant is or, on field argent (white). Additionally, the fesse is straight. I am not sure why the changes.
Daniel S. Padovano, 23 July 2006 Updated July 19, 2009