Last modified: 2016-03-25 by rick wyatt
Keywords: new york | amityville | suffolk county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 15 December 2007
Amityville is a village in Suffolk County, New York, in the United States. The population was 9,441 at the 2000 census.
Huntington settlers first visited the Amityville area in 1653 as a source of salt hay. Chief Wyandanch granted the first deed to land in Amityville in 1658. The area was originally called Huntington West Neck South (it is on the Great South Bay and Nassau County, New York border in the southwest corner of what once called Huntington South but is now the Town of Babylon. According to village lore, the name was changed in 1846 when residents met to find a better name for its new post office. The meeting turned into bedlam and one participant was to exclaim, "What this meeting needs is some amity." Another version says the name was first suggested by mill owner Samuel Ireland to name the town for his boat the Amity. The place name is strictly speaking an incident name, marking an amicable agreement on the choice of a place name. The village was formally incorporated on March 3rd, 1894. In the early 1900s Amityville was a popular tourist destination with large hotels on the bay and large homes.
New Village Flag adopted by Mayor and Board of Trustees: Mayor Imbert and the Board of Trustees adopted a resolution on September 10, 2007 to fly a Village of Amityville flag throughout the Village. It is a green nautical flag with the Village seal in the center of the flag and gold trimming around the flag.
Valentin Poposki, 11 December 2007
The flag can be seen at www.amityville.com/images/Amityville%20images/DSC_0348.JPG. The seal on the flag seems to be the one on the masthead of the official website (www.amityville.com/siteImgs/header.gif ). It shows on the flag in yellow on white - surely not for contrast!
António Martins-Tuválkin, 15 December 2007