Last modified: 2017-07-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: lincoln | nebraska | lancaster county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Dov Gutterman, 11 June 2000
From www.lincoln.ne.gov/both/glance1.htm: The City of Lincoln's flag is patterned after an entry submitted by Mrs. J.E. Fiselman in a 1931 flag design competition. The winning entry depicts Lincoln's role as an agricultural center and the capital of Nebraska.
The flag's background is blue and it includes a shock of wheat, two yellow ears of corn with green husks, and Nebraska's Capitol Building. At the flag's dedication ceremony, Acting Mayor Blake reminded citizens of the importance of Lincoln's agricultural heritage.
Dov Gutterman, 11 June 2000
The City of Lincoln (236,146 inhabitants; 82.75 sq. miles) is located in Lancaster County, in south-eastern Nebraska. On 29 July 1867, the three commissioners appointed by the Legislature decided that the capital of the new state of Nebraska, called Lincoln, would be located on the site of Lancaster, a tiny settlement of 30 inhabitants, near Salt Basin in Lancaster County. This choice was the result of pressure to move the capital from Omaha, which was the capital of the Territory. Lincoln was incorporated on April 7, 1869 as a village. On March 18, 1871 it was reorganized into a Second Class City with its own charter as provided by the state legislature for cities between 1,500 and 15,000 population.
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2007