Last modified: 2011-07-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: stamford | connecticut | fairfield county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 9 October 2010
The flag of the City of Stamford, Connecticut, is white with city coat of arms centered on it.
About the city:
"Stamford is a city in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States. According to 2007 Census Bureau estimates, the population of the city is 118,475, making it the fourth largest city in the state and the eighth largest city in New England." - from Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamford,_Connecticut
Official website: www.cityofstamford.org/content/40/default.aspx
Valentin Poposki, 3 September 2010
The Stamford Historical Society website, referring to it as the town, later city, seal, states (www.stamfordhistory.org/seal1.htm):
Later the Stamford Historical Society felt that the town should have an official seal and through the efforts of George R. Close, a valued member of the Society, then Town Clerk, steps were taken to interest the townspeople in this idea. Action was immediate, and as necessary legal formalities had to be settled by the town and the Society before the assignment of the seal could become absolute, the following resolution was passed by the Society:The Society's website also has a page on the history of manufacturing in Stamford, and explains the two crossed keys in the arms as representing the town's prominence as a manufacturing center for keys and locks, being home to the Yale Lock Company and being nicknamed the Lock City.
WHEREAS, the Town of Stamford at its annual meeting duty warned and held October 4, 1915, voted as follows:
RESOLVED: that the following seal be adopted as the seal of the Town of Stamford, to wit: A shield divided into four quarters, the first quarter representing the coat of arms of Stamford, in Lincolnshire, England, the second quarter representing in peaceful profile the Indian and the Settler, the third quarter representing an old grist mill and fields of grain, the fourth quarter representing two crossed keys, one of ancient design, and the other of modern design, above the shield an ancient ship and below the shield in a scroll the words, "Stamford, Connecticut" and between the scroll and the shield the figures "1641." Provided, however that this resolution shall not take effect until a seal conforming to the provisions hereof shall have been prepared and delivered into the possession of the Town Clerk, nor until the holders of the copyright of the device herein described shall have transferred to the Town of Stamford the full and complete perpetual right to use and reproduce said device.
Now THEREFORE RESOLVED: that the President of this Society be authorized to sign and deliver to the Town of Stamford the complete and perpetual right to use, as a seal, the device known as the coat of arms of the Town of Stamford, which device was copyrighted by the Stamford Historical Society, May 9, 1914, and known as copyright No. 74804.
"The assignment of the Seal to the Town of Stamford took place on April 12, 1916 in the office of the Town Clerk of Stamford. Thus ended a momentous and gratifying episode in the History of the Stamford Historical Society.
Another version of the flag of the City of Stamford, Connecticut, with highly stylized version of the city coat of arms and additional ribbon below it can be seen at blog.stamfordadvocate.com/stamford411/2009/07/27/photos-malloy-in-minturno.
Valentin Poposki, 1 December 2010
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 6 September 2010