This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ansonia, Connecticut (U.S.)

New Haven County

Last modified: 2011-07-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: ansonia | connecticut | new haven county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Ansonia, Connecticut] image by Eugene Ipavec, 18 July 2009

See also:


The Ansonia flag is designed around the City Seal which incorporates an image of Anson Phelps, founder and philanthropist. The background, blue and white, are the city’s colors.

The City of Ansonia was incorporated in 1893 under the early guidance of Anson Greene Phelps (1781-1853). Recorded history notes that the first English settler to the Ansonia area was in 1654. In 1675, this land was originally a part of the township of Derby. In its early years, the state chartered Ansonia as a borough of Derby, and later as a separate town in 1889. In 1893, Ansonia incorporated as a city. Ansonia is located in New Haven County and is a mere 6.2 square miles with a population of 18,688. It is truly a “small town with a big heart.”
All information from Eileen Krugel, Grants Writer, City of Ansonia, Connecticut.

Official city website:

Valentin Poposki, 15 July 2009

In the image above, the edges of the flag in the original photo provided cannot be seen, so the proportions are speculative. Unusually, the seal is wholly in Latin.
Eugene Ipavec, 18 July 2009

City seal

[flag of Ansonia, Connecticut] image by Eugene Ipavec, 18 July 2009