Last modified: 2011-03-18 by andrew weeks
Keywords: poltava |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Poltava - general information
Poltava is an independent administrative and territorial unit of Ukraine. Modern name ‘Poltava’ exists since 1430, when Poltava appeared as a part of Grand duchy of Lithuania. The old name – Ltava – was first appeared in 1174. Since 1802 Poltava is a centre of Poltava province of Russian Empire. Since 1937 Poltava became the administrative centre of Poltava region of Ukrainian SSR, and since 1991 – of Ukraine. :
Poltava flag is a width of two equal horizontal stripes. The upper stripe is white, which symbolize unity, spirituality, sincerity, purity and justice. Lower stripe is of green/blue color. It symbolizes faith, hope, confidence, happiness, agriculture and struggle for freedom. Flag ratio is 1:2.
On the flag is a composition of elements of city emblem. It consists a golden bow, which string is nocked with an arrow, that directed down. At the head of composition is a golden inscription ‘Полтава’ (Poltava) with golden protective hexagonal cossack stars. Content and description of Poltava flag were adopted by city council on 12.09.1996. The order of use was adopted on 26.09.1997. [Note: At <www.rada-poltava.gov.ua> the flag appear as plain flag. ed.]
Poltava emblem is a heritage of symbols, given to city by Bogdan Khmelniskiy when Poltava was one of administrative centres of Ukrainian cossacks in XVII century. The base of an emblem is a heraldry shield, which configuration was taken from a seal of Poltava magistrate. The field of a shield is purple. In the centre of a shield, exactly by its axises, is a bow – the symbol of arms. Its string is nocked with an arrow, what means readiness to fight, but the arrow-head is directed down, what symbolize the protection of peace work. Military attributes are surrounded with four protective hexagonal stars, what means quarters of the world. At the head of composition is a golden inscription ‘Полтава’ (Poltava), made in old Slavonic type. The central letter ‘т’ (t) looks like a heraldry cross. The content and description of Poltava emblem were adopted by Poltava city council on 24.02.1993, the order of use – on 26.09.1997.
Valery, 15 February 2010
image from <www.rada-poltava.gov.ua>