Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: stara lubovna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Stará Ľubovňa, in Hungarian Ólubló, in German Altlublau, in Polish Stara
Lubowla, was a Slovakian (and German (14,1%) - Hungarian (10,3%)) town
in Szepes (in Slovakian Spiš, in German Zips) County of Hungary till 1918/1920
(Declaration of Martin). 1920-1939 Czechoslovakian, 1939-1945 Slovakian,
and 1945-1992 Czechoslovakian. The town has 13.995 inhabitants (1990 census).
It is located in the valley of the Poprad River near the Polish border.
The city with other 15 cities and towns had been pledged to King Vladislas,
king of Poland by King Sigismund, king of Hungary in 1412 for 37.000 silver
groat. 1412-1772 the city was the part of Poland. It was the seat of the
pledged territory. In 1772 (the year of the Polish division) the "Sixteen
Cities" returned to Hungary.
István Molnár, 7 Sept 2000