This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Smižany (Slovakia)

Spišská Nová Ves okres, Košice region

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: smizany |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Smizany flag] by Gunnar Staack, 29 August 2000
Flag adopted 1992 See also:

Smižany municipality flag

Flag adopted 1992.
The biggest village in Slovakia situated in the area where the Hornád river leaves the area of the Slovak Paradise National Park. It was populated already in the 9-th century (during the existence of the Great-Moravian Empire), but the first written reference to the village is from the year 1246. In the documents it is mentioned as the village of the royal handlers. Especially the metallurgical industry developed during the Middle Ages, but the last high-temperature furnace was stopped in 1886. Smižany, in Hungarian Szepessümeg or Smizsán, in German: Schmögen, was a Slovakian, Hungarian (6,4%) and German (4,3%) settlement in the Szepes (Slovakian: Spiš, German Zips) County of Hungary till 1918/1920; 1920-1938 part of Czechoslovakia, 1939-1945 part of Slovakia, and 1945-1992 part of Czechoslovakia.
István Molnár, 18 Sep 2000

Smižany Coat of Arms

[Smizany coat of arms] image from this website, located by István Molnár, 18 Sep 2000