Last modified: 2017-03-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: slovenska bistrica | kebelj |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Slovenska Bistrica - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 May 2006
The flag of Slovenska Bistrica (29,688 inhabitants) must be one of the oldest Slovenian local flags still in use unchanged.
The coat of arms and flag were prescribed by Decision Odlok o
grbu in zastavi občine Slovenska Bistrica, adopted on 27 June
1984 and published on 13 July 1984 in the official gazette of the Socialist Republik of Slovenia Uradni list SRS, No. 23.
This Decision was superseded by Decision Odlok o grbu in zastavi Občine Slovenska Bistrica, adopted on 16 February 2009 and published on 23 February 2009 in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije, No. 15. The original description of the flag and arms do not seem to have been changed.
The flag is rectangular, in proportions 1:2, horizontally divided white-red with the coat of arms in the middle. The coat of arms is kept upright in the vertical version of the flag, which is the only one prescribed (no horizontal version).
Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010
Coat of arms of Slovenska Bistrica - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 May 2006
The coat of arms of Slovenska Bistrica is red with a silver
embattled wall with five embattlments, behind which are rising three
silver towers. The middle tower is wider and taller, topped with
three embattlements and having a Romanesque double lancet window.
The outer towers have a red conical roof under which are three
galleries, and with a golden knob on the top. In the wall are three
red doorways, the middle being larger.
The Decision prescribes above the shield an inscription with the municipality full name in capital letters.
According to Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05], the coat of arms is based on the civic seal dated 1297, that was very much alike the current coat of arms but in a circular shape. The coats of arms used in the 16th century and later had minor heraldic differences, many of them showing simply only three towers on hills, without the wall in front, but the version adopted in 1984 and still in use refers to the oldest known version.
While doing some reconstruction in the town streets, workers
excavated the original stone relief of the town arms (1589) that once
stood over the entrance gate of the town. The arms depict the town walls with three towers and a black panther above.
[Tednik, 2 August 1990]
Željko Heimer, 13 February 2017
Flag and arms of the local community (Krajevna skupnost) of Kebelj - Images by Eugene Ipavec, 16 September 2005
The flag of Kebelj, as shown on the community website, is vertically hoisted, vertically divided green-yellow with the community coat of arms placed in the middle, above the full name of the community.
Green stands for nature, environmental friendliness, forests and spring; yellow stands for the sun, gold, wheat, and summer/autumn; white stands for snow and winter.
Eugene Ipavec & Pascal Gross, 15 September 2005