This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mengeš (Municipality, Slovenia)

Last modified: 2010-11-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: menges | hook: fishing (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Menges]

Municipal flag of Mengeš - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 July 2005

See also:

Presentation of Mengeš

The municipality of Mengeš was formed in 1995, seceding from Domžale.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010

Municipal flag of Mengeš

The flag and arms of Mengeš are prescribed by Decision Odlok o uporabi grba in zastave Občine Mengeš (text and images), adopted on 8 November 1995 and published on 25 November 1995 in the municipal gazette Uradni vestnik Občine Mengeš, 7/1995.
The symbols were originally designed in 1992 for the Local Community of Mengeš, part of Domžale, and prescribed by Decision Sklep o grbu, zastavi in pečatu Krajevne skupnosti Mengeš (text and image), adopted on 16 December 1992 and published on 29 January 1993 in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije, 6/1993.

The flag of Mengeš is vertically hoisted, vertically divided blue-white with the municipal coat of arms slightly off-set to the top and with tails at the bottom (that is with an unusual trapezoidal indentation).
The flag shall be 80 cm x 240 cm with the indentation measuring 40 cm x 20 cm. The coat of arms is set so that the field above it forms a square, while the width of the upper edge of the coat of arms is 1/2 the width of the flag.

Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05] give the color specifications as:
- Blue: HKS 42 / RAL 5015 / Pantone 287c / Folija Mactac 9839-12
- Red: HKS 15 / RAL 2002 or 3000 / Pantone 1805c / Folija Mactac 9859-00
- White: RAL 9003 / Folija Mactac 9829-00 / C345 (sic).
The Decision gives only the RAL specifications.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010

Coat of arms of Mengeš

[Coat of arms of Menges]

Coat of arms of Mengeš - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 July 2005

The coat of arms is described in the Decision as: "In the centre of the shield field colored white is drawn a double fishing hook colored blue; the shield field is edged with a red border."
Stanič & Jakopič claim that the arms are based on the seal of Ditrih Mengeški, the first lord of Mengeš, dated 1154. They also mention that the oldest known arms of the lord of Mengeš, dated 1361, have a wavy base, above them a crab holding a flower in its claws; some scholars interpret the arms of Mengeš as one or two interwoven snakes forming a number "8", with the head and the tail towards left and right. Such a coat of arms is shown in Valvasor's armorial.
The municipal website gives a different explanation, refering to the seal of Hertlin of Mengeš from a document dated 1320. In a somewhat humorous way, they say that the old Mengeš warriors might have calmed their nerves after battles and tournaments by fishing.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2010