Last modified: 2014-05-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: kiruna | iron: symbol | ptarmigan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Elias Granqvist
The decision to adopt this flag was taken by the town council in 2002. It is to be used instead of the (still official) banner of arms; the arms can be seen in the centre of the flag. The reason for the flag change was, that they wanted the shield form to show in the flag. The adoption of the new flag was initiated by two locals, Mr. Gunnar Hammar and Ms. Ulla Björklund.
The arms of Kiruna was granted to the town on the 20th of May 1949, the year after Kiruna became a town. The name of the town comes from the name Kiirunavaara, a name on a mountain, meaning "ptarmigan mountain"; hence the ptarmigan in the arms. The iron sign stands for the iron mining.
The Saami name of the town is Giron.
Elias Granqvist, 20 February 2004
The specifics of this flag can
be seen in the graphic manual of the municipality of Kiruna, on page 9:
Elias Granqvist, 14 February 2010
Official blazon of the arms: "Sköld delad av silver, vari ett blått järnmärke, och blått, vari en fjällripa av silver med röd beväring, därest dylik skall förekomma."