This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Novi Sad (Town, Serbia)

Нови Сад

Last modified: 2016-08-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: novi sad |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Novi Sad]         [Flag of Novi Sad]

Flag of Novi Sad, two versions - Images by Ivan Sarajčić, 25 June 2007, and Tomislav Šipek, 29 September 2015, respectively


See also:


Presentation of Novi Sad

Novi Sad (Hungarian, Ujvidek; German, Neusatz) is a town and district capital, and the capital of Vojvodina, on the left bank of the Danube. The town has got 178,896 inhabitants (1990 census).

  • 1237: First mention of the settlement, as Petervar, part of Bács County in the Kingdom of Hungary.
  • 1526: Occupation and devastation by the Ottoman Empire.
  • 1688: Liberation from the Ottoman rule.
  • 1692 & 1739: Establishment of Serbian refugees.
  • 1748: Free Royal Town with the new name of Neoplanta, granted by Queen Maria-Theresia.
  • 1848-1861: The town was part of the Serbian Vojvodina and Banat of Tamis.

From 1918/1920 (Declaration of Novi Sad / Treaty of Trianon) to 1941, the town was incorporated to Yugoslavia. In 1941, the area was occupied and annexed by Hungary. The Treaty of Paris reallocated it to Yugoslavia in 1947.

István Molnár, 8 October 2000


Flag of Novi Sad

The flag of Novi Sad is prescribed in Article 7 of the Town Statutes, published on 22 October 2008 in the Town official gazette (text), as " light blue, in the middle of the flag the coat of arms of the Town in white".

The municipal website once presented the symbols of the town as follows:

The symbol of Novi Sad is a baroque style shield (coat of arms). In the upper, blue field there are three silver-light grey towers with the eaves that encircle their central and top parts. The towers stand separately and they are made of the unpolished stone. The eaves of the upper part is cogged, the gates are closed and windows open. The tower in the middle is a bit higher and wider and a white dove flies above it, with the olive branch. In the lower, green field under the towers, there is a wavy silver strip. The symbol of the town can be used in the form of a flag as well. It is light blue, with a symbol in the middle, which is shown in white. The appearance and use of the symbol are regulated in accordance with the Decision of the City Assembly.

The proportions of the flag vary, as well as the hanging method.

Ivan Sarajčić & Jens Pattke, 16 August 2015

The flag id also used with the coat of arms in full colours (photo).

Tomislav Šipek, 29 September 2015


Variant of the flag

[Flag of Novi Sad]

Variant of the flag of Novi Sad - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 18 August 2015

The flag is also used with the coat of arms shifted to the hoist, the bird from the coat of arms and the writing "Град Нови Сад" (Town of Novi Sad) (photo, photo).

Milan Jovanović & Tomislav Šipek, 18 August 2015

,

Former flag of Novi Sad (Ujvidek)?

[Novi Sad, 1941-1947]

Former flag of Novi Sad - Image by István Molnár, 24 September 2002

According to Széll (Városaink neve, címere és lobogója [szs41]), the former flag of Novi Sad has seven unequal blue and white vertical stripes.
Széll's book shows the flags of several towns formerly held by Hungary. The book is our only source of these flags, but it is not clear as to what period these flags were used as claimed by the book. I doubt very much that they were used during the time of Austria-Hungary. It seems very much more like they were designed in 1941 - but it is not even clear weather the designs shown in Széll's book are just proposals or if they were ever prescribed in any formal way and after all whether they were used. At least for the moment, I believe that the former flag was in use at most in years 1941-1944.

Željko Heimer, 9 October 2005


Mountaineering club "Naftaš"

[Pobed flag]

Flag of Naftaš - Image by Ivan Sache, 22 June 2013

The mountaineering club "Naftaš" (Planinarsko društvo "Naftaš" - PD "Naftaš") was founded in 1994 in Novi Sad.
The flag of PD "Naftaš" (photo) is white with the club's emblem in the middle.

Ivan Sache, 22 June 2013