This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Portuguese Colonial Companies

Last modified: 2013-12-02 by antónio martins
Keywords: guinea | casa da guiné | casa da guiné e mina | casa da índia e da guiné | guinea company | cross potent | cross (green) | saint anthony | saint mary | jesus | star: 7 points (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Guinea company

[Casa da Guiné]
image by Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997

The trading Guinea Company used a white flag with a big green potent cross. This company was a governative institution which had the task to look after the unloading, expecially of spices, to draw the king part and to fix the prices of the goods. Its name was: "Casa da Guiné", "Casa da Guiné e Mina" in 1482-83, "Casa da Índia e da Guiné" in 1499.
Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997


Company of Grão Pará and Maranhão

[Company of Grão Pará and Maranhão]
image by Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997

The Company of Grão Pará and Maranhão, in the second half of the 18th century, used a white flag with, toward the hoist, a big yellow seven-pointed star with the figure of Saint Anthony holding Infant Jesus. Under the star the motto "UT LUCET OMNIBUS".
Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997


Company of Pernambuco and Paraíba

[Company of Pernambuco and Paraiba]
image by Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997

The Company of Pernambuco and Paraíba used in the second half of the 18th century a similar flag to that of the the Company of Grão Pará and Maranhão having, under the star, a light blue anchor, and over it the image of the Immaculate Conception, patron of Portugal.
Mario Fabretto, 30 May 1997