Last modified: 2011-02-12 by editor unassigned
Keywords: mikolajki |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Mikołajki is an old Masurian church town first documented in 1444. The
settlement grew during the 18th century, receiving its town privileges
as Nikolaiken in 1726. Because of its location on Śniardwy, the fishery
of Nikolaiken ensured continued prosperity; the whitefish of the region
were especially popular throughout East Prussia.
Until 1945 the town was part of Landkreis Sensburg within East Prussia in the Kingdom of Prussia. During World War II Nikolaiken was one of the few East Prussian towns not destroyed from the fighting, and it became part of Poland as Mikołajki after war's end. The German-speaking population was evacuated and expelled by Polish and Soviet soldiers.
The town was a growing tourist center before the war, and is now one of the largest tourist sights in Masuria. The ice sailing in winter is an especially popular attraction. (wiki)
Flag adopted on June 20, 1996 (resolution # IV/31/96).
Arms adopted on August 29, 1996 (resolution # V/37/96).
"Arms: om the blue shield a silver fish -"King Sielaw" crowned and chained.
According to the legend, King Sielaw, a very big fish, was protecting inhabitants of the local waters so successfully, the fishermen were left empty-handed and the village was facing starvation from hunger.
Then, wife of one fisherman, prayed to the Gods and received from them a metal ring. Local smith used it as a model and fashioned a strong net allowing the catch of King Sielaw. Kept in captivity, it couldn't protect other fish in the lake, and fishermen were able to catch enough fish to keep everybody content and well-fed.
Flag: civic flag is a rectangle in the ratio 3:5 divided crosswise into
First and fourth fields are white while second field is red and third one, blue.
The ceremonial flag adds the shield of Arms in the center of the red field."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Nov 2008