This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Słubice county (Poland)

Powiat słubicki, Lubuskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: slubice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Słubice county flag] image by Jens Pattke, 9 Feb 2003
adopted 30 May 2000 Gminy (districts) in Słubice county: See also:

Słubice county civic flag

Coat of Arms of Słubice county is based on the Coat of Arms of the county capital city, Słubice and on the dependence of whole county on Odra river. The eagle argent on field gules comes from Coat of Arms of the city. It is a symbol of Polish possession of the land until 13th century AD and since 1945. On the left side of the Coat of Arms, the wavy belt azur symbolizes Odra river. The background or is derived from the Coat of Arms of Gorzyca, a former seat of Lubusz bishops. This is meant to be a symbol of the county's allegiance to the historic Land of Lubusz (Ziemia Lubuska). Now the county is a part of Lubuskie Voivodship (Wojewodztwo Lubuskie).

The flag consists of three belts of equal width: or, argent and gules. The colors of the flag are derived from those of the Coat of Arms. The ceremonial and official flag also includes the Coat of Arms at the center of it.

Both the Coat of Arms and the flag were consulted with the people of the county and with the boards of the communes which belong to the county. They were adopted on 30 May 2000 by the County Council.
Bartłomiej Kachniarz, 11 Dec 2000

The river is called in the German language "Oder" ( in English and French language: Oder). Polish and czechs inhabitants called the river "Odra". In the Middle age, the country at the Oder- River was the diocese of Lebus (polish: Lubuskie). The diocese was established in the year 888.

The coat-of-arms with the white eagle descended from the Slavic Przemyslian and Jagiellian dukes of the 13th century AD.It is symbol of the Slavic past of the 13th century AD and the Polish present since 1945.

The wavy belt symbolizes the Oder- River. The colors remind of the diocese of Lebus. The Lebusian country (diocese (Bistum) and district (Landkreis)) had a arms, yellow field with two cruised red boathooks. The metal parts of the boathooks were blue. Over the boathooks, a red six-pointed star of the Slavic Saint Maria was until 1937. Headquarters of the bishop was Lebus, which lies left of the Oder (Germany). Lebus is a small village 15 km north from Frankfurt (Oder). This village gives the entire landscape her name, country of Lebus. (German: Lebuser Land; Polish: (Ziemia Lubuska))
Gorzyca (formerly German name: Goeritz) was the summer and recuperation seat of the bishops, which lay right of the Oder (Poland). The village Gorzyca had a arms, purple field with two cruised yellow bishop-croziers. Over the croziers was a yellow six-pointed star of the Slavic Saint Maria. An illustration of the coats-of-arms of the diocese of Lebus is in the church of Gorzyca. Gorzyca and Lebus lie removed 10 km.
Jens Pattke, 2 March 2001

Here are the correct images of the flags of Słubice County in the voivodship of Lubuskie. Flag and Coat of Arms adopted on 30 May 2000.
The county and the town of Słubice are the sister of my hometown Frankfurt (Oder). Cause is the common urban root. The town of Vranckenforde and the Slavic village of Sliwitz was founded in the year 1253. In 1945, with specification of the new German-Polish borderline the eastern part of city of Frankfurt became the Polish town "SLUBICE". The former German name of the suburb was Dammvorstadt. Słubice is center of the Słubice County. 33000 inhabitants live here.
Source: Uchwala Nr XVII/62/2000 Rady Powiatu Slubickiego z dnia 30 maja 2000r w sprawie ustanowienia herbu i flagi powiatu Slubickiego.
[gue02]
Jens Pattke, 9 Feb 2003


Słubice county official flag

[Słubice county flag with Coat of Arms] image by Jens Pattke, 9 Feb 2003

Słubice county Coat of Arms

[Słubice county Coat of Arms] image from this site.