This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sztum commune (Poland)

Sztum county, Pomorskie Vojvodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: sztum |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Sztum city flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
adopted 1 Feb 2003 See also:

Sztum city and commune flag

Sztum - urban-rural commune, Sztum County, Pomorskie Voivodship - German name: Stuhm.
Sztum is a town in Poland, capital of Sztum County, located in Pomeranian Voivodeship, with some 12,141 inhabitants (2004).
Signs of settlement dating back to the Roman Empire era have been found. In the early Middle Ages a fortified settlement of the Prusian people existed at the site, conquered by the Teutonic Knights in 1236. City rights were granted to the settlement in 1416.

In 1466 the town with other western Prussian territory passed to the crown of Poland as Royal Prussia. As part of Royal Prussia under Poland's protection (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth), the town functioned as a seat of Stuhm County in Marienburg county (Malbork Voivodeship) (1466-1772) and a place to hold local court sessions. In 1635 the Treaty of Stuhmsdorf was signed in the village of Stuhmsdorf (now Sztumska Wies, just south of the city of Sztum).
In 1772 during the time of the First Partition of Poland, the Prussian town became part of the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1871 it became part of the newly created German Empire.

According to the treaty of Versailles after World War I the inhabitants were asked whether they want to remain in Germany or join the new Second Polish Republic by the Warmia and Masuria plebiscite on July 11, 1920. 19.984 votes were given to remain in Germany, 4.904 votes for Poland. Based on that result Stuhm was included in the Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder within East Prussia.

After the end of World War II, the German inhabitants were expelled like most of the German population of East Prussia. During the end of the war, the town, along with the rest of southern East Prussia, was given to Polish administration under territorial changes promulgated by the Potsdam Conference. The city was resettled by Poles, many of them expellees from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union. (based on wiki)

Arms and flag adopted on February 1, 2003 (resolution # VI/19/2003).
"Arms: an image of Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus on the red shield.
Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:3 composed of three equal horizontal bands: red-white-red."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008


Sztum city and commune Coat of Arms

[Sztum city Coat of Arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
adopted 1 Feb 2003