This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Świdnik town (Poland)

Świdnik county, Lubelskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: swidnik |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Swidnik commune flag] image by Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001 See also:

Świdnik city flag

Image based on Flaga 12.
The first recorded mention of Świdnik comes from 1392 when Wladyslaw Jagiello conferred Świdnik Major administration office upon Peter of Moszyna. Then, the village started functioning under German law (so far, it had had Polish law) and the village administrator was obliged to join the cavalry during wars. Świdnik Major consisted of two feuds together with meadows and an inn. Over the following centuries, together with changes of owners of the villages, the names Świdnik Major and Świdnik Minor appeared in written sources quite often. The present form of the name: Świdnik originated only in the second half of the 18th century. Before, the town was known as "de Swidniki" (1417) or "Swydnyk" (1470). The name itself comes from a plant (lat. Cornus Sanguinea) growing on wet soil. Population on 1 January 2001: 41 112.
Information from this website.
Jarig Bakker, 25 Apr 2002

Świdnik city ceremonial flag

[Swidnik city ceremonial flag] image by Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001

Image based on Flaga 12.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001


Świdnik town Coat of Arms

[Swidnik Coat of Arms] image from this website.