Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: bielsko-biala |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Bielsko Biała (German: Bielitz): formerly a regional seat, now in Upper
Silesia, founded in the 12th century, ca. 180.000 inhabitants. Composed
of two settlements (like Budapest), this town was divided between Poland
and the Austrian Empire until 1920. The city has county-status, is not
part of Bielsko-Biała county.
Gwidon S. Naskrent, 6 Sep 2000
Bielsko-Biała is a double city, each of which has its own Coat of Arms. They
were united in 1951, and now form one seamless whole around the River Biała,
which formerly divided them. The towns spent most of their history in different
countries: Bielsko belonged to the duchy of Cieszyn (Czech: Tesin), which
in due course became part of Bohemia, whereas Biała was part of the Oswiecim
duchy, which fell to the Polish crown in the fifteenth century. It is a
flourishing industrial city, which suffered in the 1970's from the clearing
of the city-center by the mayor of the town, nicknamed "Anton Burzyciel"
or Anthony the Destroyer.
Jarig Bakker, 9 Dec 2002
The website of Bielsko
"Arms of Bielsko-Biała are two gothic armorial shields, each being a historical arms, reworked in 18th and 19th centuries. Shield of Bielsko is two-parted. On the left, on blue background, there is a half of golden eagle turned to the right. It is a Piast eagle which replaces the black eagle of Habsburgs. On the right field there are three heraldic lilies placed vertically on the red background. This is a half of the arms of the bishops of Wroclaw. Until 1925, Bielsko (as all of Silesia) belonged to the Wroclaw Diocese. The heraldics used are part of the Latin heraldry.
Arms of Bielsko date back to the beginning of 14th century and were given to the town by Mieszko I - Prince of Cieszyn ( Upper Silesian Piast).
Arms of Biała are two red roses placed horizontally on green background. Roses are typical Baroque decorative elements, symbolizing progress, wealth, love, success and well-being. Arms of Biała were granted in 1723 by King Augustus the Strong.
According to writings of the contemporary scribe, red roses on green grass supposed to be a symbol of well-being.
Arms of Bielsko-Biała are copyrighted."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 9 Dec 2002