This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Troms (Norway)

Last modified: 2017-01-06 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: troms | griffin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Troms] image by Jan Oskar Engene, 19 November 1995


See also:


Description of the flag

Adopted on 15 January 1960.


Proportions are 1:1
Mark Sensen, 18 November 1995


Gules, a griffin Or. A griffin is a monster with lion's back, and eagle's wings, head and claws. It is one of the oldest heraldic symbols, and it can be found even in old Egyptian art.
Željko Heimer, 19 November 1995


The flag of Troms was adopted in 1960, the design being based on the seals of a prominent Medieval family - often referred to as the Bjarkoy family. Their seal featured a griffin (with some variations in additional elements). The earliest known impression of the seal serving as the basis for the modern arms and flag of Troms dates from 1303. This seal belonged to Bjarne Erlingsson and had the griffin surrounded by a border containing roses. However, the same man had previously used a seal showing a griffin grasping a bird. This seal is known from an impression dated 1288.
Jan Oskar Engene, 24 March 2005


Communes

The following communes are listed in this county (fylke). The codes following the names are assigned by Norway for statistical and administrative purposes.

The following are former municipalities of this county:

  • Andørja (1916)
  • Astafjord (1918)
  • Helgøy (1935)
  • Hillesøy (1930)
  • Lavangen (1920)
  • Malangen (1932)
  • Øverbygd (1923)
  • Sandtorg (1912)
  • Tromsøysund (1934)
  • Trondenes (1914)
  • Ullsfjord (1937)