This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hoek (The Netherlands)

Terneuzen municipality, Zeeland province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hoek |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Hoek flagproposal] by Jarig Bakker, 23 Oct 2004
proposal by A.J. Beenhakker, c.1970

See also:

Hoek former municipality

Hoek was a municipality in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen till 1970 when in merged into Terneuzen and Sas van Gent.
Flagproposal: Three equally wide horizontal stripes of orange, white and blue; at the hoist a yellow triangle reaching into flagcenter; charged with a red castle with two opened windows and an openend gate.
The origin of the village of Hoek was a fortification laid out by Prince Maurits of Orange in 1588, as a defense against the fortress of Philippine (laid out by the Spaniards, and named after King Philip II).
This fort is the red castle on the triangle. The village of Hoek was founded in 1601 at the corner formed by the Kouden- and Loven-polders. The center of the village was named "Oud-Vlissingen".
The tri-angle symbolizes the name of "Hoek", meaning: angle, corner.
Source: Anton Jansen's magazine "Vlaggen", #71, 1991, flagdesigns for Zeeland municipalities by Ir. A.J. Beenhakker - courtesy of Mr. Hans van Heijningen.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Oct 2004

Hoek Coat of Arms

[Hoek Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 23 Oct 2004, after image in the Koffie Hag album.
Granted 31 Jul 1817

Coat of Arms: or a wall with round tower purple; on the tower a flying orange, white, blue flag, the white stripe charged with a black letter M; the tower with on both sides a tree vert; tower and wall provided with shooting holes; the field garnered with red.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Oct 2004