This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sint Odiliënberg (The Netherlands)

Ambt Montfort municipality, Limburg province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: sint odilienberg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Sint Odiliënberg flag] by Jarig Bakker, 29 Oct 2004
adopted 14 Apr 1971

See also:

Sint Odiliënberg former municipality

Until 1991 St.Odiliënberg was a separate municipality; since then it is part of the municipality of Ambt Montfort in Limburg province.
Its flag was adopted 14 Apr 1971: "yellow with a blue hoist-triangle, reaching the fly, charged with a white five-leaved flower with a yellow heart. Proportions 2:3."
Source: DerkWillem Visser's "Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001.
Sint Odiliënberg is a few kms south of Roermond, lying along the small Roer river. Romans settled here already. In 706 the Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otgerus built an abbey, which was important in the christianisation of the Netherlands. In the time of the Viking invasions the Utrecht clergy found shelter here. At first it was a secular canon's see, which was moved to Roermond in the 14th century. On the St. Odiliën mount the Sepulchrine Order settled then. After the 80 years war this area became Spanish; it was ceded to the Republic of the Netherlands in 1715. Until the French municipal reorganisation St. Odiliënberg belonged to the administrive division known as Ambt Montfort, but it became a separate commune/municipality c. 1810, until it remerged in Ambt Montfort.
Jarig Bakker, 29 Oct 2004

Sint Odiliënberg Coat of Arms

[Sint Odiliënberg Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 29 Oct 2004, after image in the Koffie Hag album.
Granted 2 May 1939 by Royal Resolution."

Coat of arms: "per fess I. or a lion gules; II. azure three argent five-leaved flower with heart or, placed 2,1; the shield surmounted by a crown or of three leaves and two pearls.
This Coat of Arms is connected with the Gelre arms, to which it belonged since the 16th century.