This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Roermond (The Netherlands)

Limburg province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: roermond |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



Roermond municipality image by Stefan Lambregts, 17 Feb 2010
adopted 11 Feb 2010

Other Roermond pages: See also:

Roermond new flag

Stefan Lambrechts (via the Benevex-list) reported http://www.roermond.nl/index58256.htm  --> agendapunt # 9 )
Roermond is a municipality in Middle-Limburg.  In 1959 it merged with Maasniel; in 1991 with Herten, and in 2007 with Swalmen, retaining its name (Roermond, mouth of the Roer river, a small brook, not to be confused with the Ruhr in Nordrhein-Westfalen nearby in Germany).
At the same time the arms of the former municipalities of Swalmen, Herten and Maasniel were adopted as village-arms.
Number of inhabitants 54.446 on 1 January 2008; area: 46,65 km². Settlements: Roermond (seat), Asenray, Asselt, Boukoul, Herten, Leeuwen, Maasniel, Swalmen.

The municipal council resolved on 11 February 2010 on a new flag with the following description: "Two equally high stripes of white and blue, charged with a red fleur-de-lis on the white stripe at 1/3 of flaglength, with a height of 3/8 flagheight. The flagmast is white with a meandering blue ribben with a silver knob".

Three reasons are given:
- The addition of the red lily to the flag can contribute to the togetherness and consciousness of unity amongst the citizens of the new municipality. For the lily was not only used on the arms of Roermond, but also on the arms of the old municipalities of Herten and Maasniel.
Swalmen is represented by the colors white, blue and red, used in the old municipal arms.
- By the addition of the lily the Roermond flag has been made different from those in Kampen, Assen and Hoogeveen.
- By the addition of the lily it is thought that the flag won't be hoisted upsidedown (which, unafortunately has been happening all too often up till now).
Jarig Bakker, 18 Feb 2010


Roermond old flag

[Roermond old flag] image by Shipmate Flagchart :  http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 15 Nov 1957, used till 1 February 2010

Flagdescription: two equally wide horizontal stripes of white and blue.
This flag was adopted 15 Nov 1957 by municipal resolution. The colors are derived from the municipal arms. On 27 Mar 1857 the provincial governor (commissaris der koning) wrote to the Minister of Home Affairs that this flag of Roermond in Limburg was known as municipal flag, but "that no provincial or other municipal flag are known in this duchy". The flag was first used during a festivity in 1855. In 1938 the municipality wrote to the Gedeputeerde Staten of Limburg that the colors were: a stripe of silever (white) on top and a stripe of azure (blue) bottom. The Roermondenaars often commit the grave error of hoisting the flag upsidedown; when one asks someone on the street what the Roermondse vlag is, you will unvariably hear: blue-white!


Roermond Coat of Arms

[Roermond Coat of Arms] from Ralf Hartemink's site.
Granted 10 Mar 1941.

Herten [former municipality]

former Herten Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net/flags.htm
Adopted c. 1974

Herten is a former municipality in Limburg province, since 1991 part of the city of Roermond.
Flag: swallowtailed yellow with a red cross at 1/3 flaglength, at top and bottom bordered blue.
Adopted c. 1974
This flag is designed as a burgee to emphasize Herten's position along the Maas river (port, recreation); the colors are derived from the municipal arms.

Arms: per pale I. the Archangel Michael, with face, arms and legs of natural color and wings argent, dressed in a tunic or and legprotectors argent bordered or, armed with asword argent fixed to a belt or, standing on a dragon vert armed of natural color, holding in his right hand a cross-standard or, from which flashes of lightning shoot down; II. quartered: a and d argent a fleur-de-lis gules; b and c argent three fesses azure.
Granted 3 Aug 1896

St. Michael is the patron saint of the church of Herten; the (heraldic) left half is the arms of the Van Vlodrop family, lords of Herten for some time.
Herten was already mentioned in 865. One can still admire the ruins of the castle Oudenborgh.
Source: Vexilla Nostra 20 - 139 - 57.
Jarig Bakker, 25 Apr 2005