This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ens (The Netherlands)

Noordoostpolder, Flevoland province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ens | merlette |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Ens flag] by Jarig Bakker, 26 Apr 2005
adopted c 1994; design Anton Jansen See also:

Ens village

Ens is a village in the Noordoostpolder, Flevoland province.
Flag: red, a white chevron thoughout, in top hoist, top fly and bottom center white merlettes.
adopted c 1994; design Anton Jansen.

Ens is in the southeast of the municipality, a bit east of the former island of Schokland. That island had two settlements: Emmeloord and Ens, but in 1859 it was definitely evacuated and left to the Zuiderzee to do its demolition job. The present village regards itself as the successor to the old island village.
The name "Ens" was first mentioned in 793, as "Enedsae; in that year a mission was sent by the monastery of Werten in the Bishopric of Köln, to spread Christianity.
The name Enedsae gradully became Ens; it meant: Ducksea. Ens was on the southern point of Schokland.
In 1695 Ens did already have its own arms: a red shield with a white chevron and three merlettes.

Merlettes could only be used by knights who had participated in a Crusade and returned hurt. The birds of Ens probably remind of journeys overseas by the Ensers. The chance wasn't very remote that sailors would return injured or dead, wherefore Ens might be entitled to merlettes - but this is not certain.
Mr. Jansen did not get confirmation that the flag as presented here was taken into use, but Mr. van Heijningen assured me that it was.
Source: Vlaggen (magazine edited by Anton Jansen), VI, no. 91 (1996): 1287-1288.
Jarig Bakker, 26 Apr 2005


Ens Coat of Arms

[Ens Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 26 Apr 2005
In use since 1695

Arms: gules a chevron, three merlettes all argent, placed 2,1