Last modified: 2013-11-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: palestine | union flag | israel | eretz israel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Until 1016, Palestine was part of the Ottoman
Empire and used the Ottoman flag. The British took Jerusalem
in December 1916. The Allied Supreme Council created a British
mandate on 25 April 1920 and the League of Nations approved it 24
July 1922. The Balfour Declaration of 1917, providing for a
Jewish national home, applied to Palestine, but not Transjordan. Transjordan was separated from Palestine as an autonomous state on 26
T.F. Mills, 16 December 1997
After the 1914-18 War the former Turkish province of Palestine was under British Military Administration until the League of Nations granted it to Britain as a Mandated Territory. The Colonial Office reluctantly took over from the Army in 1923. Some thought that it was not an appropriate responsibility for the Colonial Office, and that either the Foreign Office or a special Secretary of State should have taken charge. Nothing was done about a flag as it was not considered desirable that the territory should have a special badge.
1926. The Customs Service applied for an ensign to identify their launches.
1927. The Palestine Shipping Register was established and a defaced Red Ensign authorised.
1929. The existing Customs ensign was cancelled, Blue Ensign defaced 'PALESTINE' in a white circle adopted, together with Customs and Posts jacks.
1932. Palestine Police Flag proposal.
1932-1934. Proposals for a new badge.
1935. High Commissioner badge and flag.
1948. Departmental and High Commissioner flags cancelled on 15th May 1948, but the Palestine Red Ensign posed some problems.
Information about British Palestine flags is in the Public
Record Office at Kew in documents ADM 1/8771/162, ADM 1/9162, ADM
1/21248, CO 323/1180/24, CO 323/1181/17, CO 323/1182/2, CO
1182/11, CO 323/1222/10, CO 323/1272/7, CO 323/1333/1, CO
323/1333, CO 323/1377/16, MINT 24/101, MINT 25/1, MINT 25/2.
David Prothero, 4 March 2002