This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hajduboszormeny (Hajdu-Bihar, Hungary)

Hajdúböszörmény város

Last modified: 2014-04-18 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: hajdu-bihar | hajduboszormeny | dragon | arm |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Zoltan Horvath, 8 February 2010

See also:


Hajdúböszörmény is a town in Hajdú-Bihar County in Hungary 19 km from Debercen. The town has got 32.200 inhabitants (1990 census) nearly   all of them are Hungarians. One of the Official Ethnic Minorities in Hungary has ethnic council in the settlement: Gipsy. Neighbouring settlements are: Debercen, Hajdúhadház, Téglás, Hajdúdorog, Hajdúnánás, Görbeháza and Balmazújváros.
From <>: The name of the town: Hajdúböszörmény. Location: Hajdú-Bihar County, 19 km from Debrecen. Population: 32.200 Area: 37.078 hectars.
From <>: Hajdúböszörmény is a characteristic town of Hungary, particularly of the north-east part of the Alföld (Great Hungarian Plain). It has a significant historical past. Its worldwide known classical radial-belt settlement stucture is the most precious monument of the town. It was built by demands of the defense system. Because of these historical values the town is admitted into the membership of Permanent Conference of Central European Historic Towns.
History of Hajdúböszörmény from <>: "The name of our town, "Böszörmény" was a noun in the old Hungarian language and it meant Muslim, the believer of Islam. Böszörmény was the center of the Nyírség Muslims. The village was destroyed during the Mongol Invasion. It was repeopled in the 12th and 13th centuries and became a part of the Debrecen domain between 1290 and 1322. The town became market-town in 1325. It received the "oppidium" title in 1410,  under the reign of King Zsigmond. ..."
Photo of the flag here and here.
István Molnár, 26 October 2000

It seems that flag had been modified since 2000 (probably in 2003). Wolf-teeth were removed from flag. Latest modification of the regulations is: 25/2007.(VI.01.) - Önkormányzati jelképek használatáról (not available on-line).
There are two flags: The official one is plain white with Coat of Arms in the center and name placed under it (black lettering). It can be seen in Assembly Hall..The other one (desk flag) is divided into blue and white stripes with Coat of Arms and town's name under it (gold lettering).
Photos of the flag are here.and here. Photos of the desk flag are here and here (Other flag on desk is of Harkány in Baranya county).
Description of Coat of Arms and some background information (in English) at <>.
Zoltan Horvath, 8 February 2010

Desk Flag

image by Zoltan Horvath, 8 February 2010

Historical Flag

image by António Martins, 28 Febuary 2001

This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója (1941) as "Hajdúböszörmény, Hajdú Co.".
István Molnár, 20 October 2000

Six white and blue horizontal stripes.
António Martins, 28 Febuary 2001

1974 - 1989 Flag

image by István Molnár

Source: A magyar városok címerei (Coat of Ams of the Hungarian cities and towns); 1975.
István Molnár

Coat of Arms

image from <>, located by István Molnár, 26 October 2000