This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gyorszemere (Gyor-Moson-Sopron, Hungary)

Gyõrszemere község

Last modified: 2011-12-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: gyor-moson-sopron | gyorszemere | st. laurence | olive | grapes | helmet | arrow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



(2:3)
by István Molnár, 3 December 2000



See also:


Overview

Győrszemere is a village in Győr-Moson-Sopron County in Hungary near to City of Győr (15 km south) in the Little Hungarian Plains. The settlement has got 2.928 inhabitants (1990 census), all of them are Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Koroncó, Tét, Felpéc, Tényő and Győrújbarát villages and Győr city.
The territory of the village was inhabited in 6000 BC. In the territory of Poszogódomb (hill) a cemetery of the Celts was found . On the Szárhegy (hill) were cemeteries from the Bronze, the Roman and the early Hungarian ages.  The first mention of the village is from 1213 (ZEMERE). Győrszemere has got its name from the name of one of the Hungarian clans (Szemere). In the village lived serfs and members of the lower nobility. 1552-1593 and 1663-1685 under Turkish rule.
In 1910 Győrszemere was a village in the Sokoróalja district of Győr County.Number of inhabitants in 1910: 1.696; 1.690 (99,7%) Hungarian and 6 (0,3%) others by mother tongue, 1.002 (59,2%) Roman Catholic, 360 (21,3%) Calvinist, 290 (17,2%) Lutheran and 44 (2,6%) other by religion. 1920-1946 in Győr-Moson-Pozsony County, 1946-1949 in Győr-Moson County, 1950-now in Győr-Sopron (from 1992 Győr-Moson-Sopron) County.
Ratio of the horizontal flag: 2:3. Ratio of the vertical flag: 1:2. The flag has got a "guard of the flag": Mr. László Andorka (Roman Catholic) and two "godmothers of the flag": Mrs. Szabó (Calvinist) and Mrs. Újvári (Lutheran).
István Molnár, 3 December 2000


Vertical Flag

(2:1)
by István Molnár, 3 December 2000


Coat of Arms


by Istvan Molnar, 3 December 2000

Description of the coat of arms: In the red field there is St. Laurence, the patron saint of the village and the parish church. On his left arm there is the olive branch relates to the peace. In the blue field a gold cluster of grapes relates to the vineyards of the village. The helmet on the shield relates to the heroes died in the WWI and WWII. The crown relates to the independence of the village (in the past and now) and the arrow relates to the conquering Szemere Clan from the ages of the Hungarian Conqueste.
István Molnár, 3 December 2000