This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Petrinja (Town, Sisak-Moslavina County, Croatia)

Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: petrinja | castle (white) | eagle: double-headed (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Town flag]

Flag of Petrinja - Image by Željko Heimer, 27 August 2009

See also:

Presentation of Petrinja

The town of Petrinja Petrinja is located some 10 km south-west of Sisak on the confluence of river Petrinjčica into Kupa. It has 13,700 inhabitants in 2001 and is most well-know for the over 150 years old meat industry Gavrilović.
Early developed industry enabled the town to became an important cultural center of the wider region. The town wass mentioned in 1240 as an important fort. From 1531 to 1543, a never-ending battle was fought for Petrinja between Croats and Ottomans. Finally in 1543 after a Decision of the Croatian Parliament, the defenders burned the town and retreated. Turks made their stronghold here, but already in 1593 in the huge battle at Sisak their power was diminished and the Ottoman march to Europe was ended. In the 18th century, Petrinja, as one of the main towns in the Military Border, was a center of cultural life (military school, public schools, pedagogic academy). The town was separated from Croatia by the Serbian rebellion in early 1990s, and much destroyed. It was liberated in 1995.

Željko Heimer, 15 December 2002

Flag of Petrinja

The currently prefered design of the symbols of Petrinja is shown on the town website.
Conclusion Zakljucak o primanju na znanje Izvješca o grbu i zastavi Grada Petrinje, adopted on 19 July 2000 by the Town Assembly and published in the County official gazette Službeni vjesnik Sisačko-morlavačke županije, No. 9, notes that the committee for the adoption of the symbols presented a report to the Town Assembly and that the report was adopted. The details of the report are not published in the gazette. Anyhow, this is indicative that the process of the adoption of the symbols was still going on and was possibly reaching its final stage.

The white flag with two rows of red and white squares along both the top and bottom edges with the bicolor background coat of arms in the middle appeared in 2003, with little chance to be approved by the Ministry.

Željko Heimer, 7 June 2007

Coat of arms of Petrinja

The coat of arms of Petrinja in current use is "Per pale gules and argent a gate embattled portcullis rised or with two round towers argent roofed gules and in chief holding the towertops an eagle displayed sable crowned beaked and membered or and langued gules".

Željko Heimer, 15 December 2002

Proposed symbols

[Town flag]         [Town coat of arms]

Proposed flag and arms of Petrinja - Images by Željko Heimer, 27 August 2009

Another proposal is a blue flag with the coat of arms with the field gules.

Željko Heimer, 27 August 2009