Last modified: 2015-10-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: skiathos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Skiathos - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 12 January 2015
The municipality of Skiathos (6,088 inhabitants in 2011, 4,990 ha) is made of a small island located in the northwest Aegean Sea.
Skiathos is the westernmost island in the Northern Sporades group,
east of the Pelion peninsula in Magnesia on the mainland, and west of
the island of Skopelos.
The municipality was not changed with the 2011 local government reform.
In Ancient times, the island played a minor role during the Persian Wars. In 480 BC, the fleet of the Persian King Xerxes was hit by a storm and wasbadly damaged on the rocks of the Skiathos coast. Skiathos remained in the Delian League until it lost its independence. The city was destroyed by Philip V of Macedon in 200 BC.
In 1207 the Gyzi brothers captured the island and built the Bourtzi, a small Venetian-styled fortress similar to the Bourtzi in Nafplio, on an islet just out of Skiathos Town. In 1704 monks from Athos built the Evangelistria monastery which played a part on the Greek War of Independence as a hide-out for Greek rebels.
The flag of Skiathos (photo; Kokkonis website) is white with a blue emblem portraying Alexandros Papadiamadis (1851-1911), a famous writer who was born and lived on this island, in a blue circle. Under the circle is written ΔΗΜΟΣ ΣΚΙΑΘΟΥ (Municipality of Skiathos)
Thanos Tzikas & Olivier Touzeau, 12 January 2015