Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: parga | fanari |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Parga (11,866 inhabitants in 2011; 38,160 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Fanari (Φανάρι, 8,911 inh.) and Parga (3,904 inh.).
Ivan Sache, 1 October 2014
Flag of Fanari - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 27 January 2015
The municipality of Fanari had ist seat in Kanallaki (Καναλλάκι, 2,454 inh.). Its flag (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipal emblem.
Olivier Touzeau, 27 January 2015
Flag of Parga, reconstruction - Image by Jaume Ollé, 5 January 2011
From 1401 to 1797, Parga was under the protection of Venice, which appointed a governor, but day to day the city was governed by its own patrician class. Parga fell under French rule, along with the Ionian Islands, from 1797 to 1799. On 31 January 1808, Parga recognized the sovereignty of the Ottoman Sultan, but retained its flag and leaders. From 1807 to 1814, Parga was part of the French Empire, and then, from 1815 to 1819, it was under the British Ionian Islands, before being ceded to the Ottoman Empire. The citizens of Parga evacuated ahead of Turkish rule to Corfu, to return only in 1913.
The banner of Parga (photo), said to be 300 years old, is dark red with a golden border design and some kind of image which has been sadly worn away near the hoist.
Ben Cahoon, 17 May 2010