Last modified: 2010-12-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: petrotankers | stars: 3 (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Petrotankers - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 October 2010
Petrotankers, registered in Le Havre, was the shipping division of the Belgian oil group Petrofina, founded in 1920, renamed Fina in 1954, merged with Total into TotalFina in 1999, TotalFina being renamed Total in 2000, following the merging with Elf Aquitaine.
Petrotankers was listed in 1939 as the owner of the tanker Pluviôse. After the Second World War, the company operated four tankers named for French poets of the Pléiade group, Du Baïf, Du Bellay, Rémy Belleau and Ronsard. The seven Pléiade poets (Pelletier du Mans, Pontus de Tyard and Jodelle missing here) took their name from a similar poets' group from Alexandria, 3rd century, that took the name of the Pleiades (aka Seven Sisters) star cluster.
Ivan Sache, 7 October 2010
Jean Randier (Histoire de la marine marchande française) shows the house flag of Petrotankers as white with a light blue border and three red stars placed, in decreasing size, on the descending diagonal of the flag. Light blue, red and white are the Petrofina / Fina colors. There could be a remote link between the stars on the flag and the name of the company's ships via the Pleaides.
Dominique Cureau & Ivan Sache, 7 October 2010