Last modified: 2012-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: compagnie francaise des extraits tinctoriaux et tannants |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Compagnie Française des Extraits Tinctoriaux et Tannants - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 November 2011
The Compagnie Française des Extraits Tinctoriaux et Tannants (French Company of Tinctorial and Tanning Extracts) was founded in Le Havre in 1862 by Ernest Dubosc; the company quickly grew as one of the main industries and employers in the port town.
The Bulletin officiel de l'Exposition de Lyon, universelle,
internationale et coloniale, No. 16, 19 April 1894 (facsimile), relates Dubosc's success story, the company being listed as producing "Dry and liquid tinctorial and tanning extracts - Dyeing wood in logs and molds".
Before the establishment by Dubosc of the first factory able to extract dyeing woods, France imported, via Le Havre, 15,000 tons of such wood per year and no extract was exported. Dubosc was able to rationalize extraction and to decrease the production costs, so that his extracts could compete with the American products. Importation of wood increased to 85,000 tons while the production of extracts reached 17 millions francs, of which 12 millions were credited to Dubosc. In 1873, Dubosc patented the use of wood of red quebracho (Schinopsis lorentzii Engl., native to Chaco) to produce tanning extracts, replacing oak bark traditionally used. Quebracho bark includes 16-23% of pure tannin; in 1891, French importation of quebracho reached 100,000 tons, mostly processed in Dubosc's factory.
In 1924, the company purchased the tannin factory of Folelli (Corsica) from the Champlan company. However, the production of tannin from chestnut bark was not profitable so that the factory was closed in 1935 (and reestablished a few years later by a new owner).
In the 1930s, the Compagnie Française des Extraits Tinctoriaux et Tannants absorbed most of its French competitors.
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2011
The house flag of the company is shown in Navires et marine marchande, No. 40 (July 2009) as quartered by a white saltire red-green-yellow-blue.
Dominique Cureau, 11 November 2011