Last modified: 2011-10-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: savoy | genevois |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Genevois - Image by ND, 6 January 2004
The traditional province of Genevois is the former feudal domain of the Counts of Geneva, now divided between Switzerland (the town of Geneva and the surrounding municipalities that consitute the Canton of Geneva) and France (the French Genevois, limited by Lake Léman, the river Rhône and the massif of Bornes).
In the IXth century, the Counts of Geneva challenged the power of the Humbertian Counts of
Savoy. Humbert I of Savoy supported the German Emperor,
whereas Count of Geneva Gerold opposed to him. The Counts of Geneva had
for vassals the lords of Faucigny. In the XIIth century, the Counts of Geneva were forced to recognize the rule of the bishop of Geneva on the town and withdrew to Annecy.
The lineage of Genevois ended in 1394 when Robert died. Robert was the last of the five sons of Count Amédée III, who had been elected Pope, as Clement VII, in 1378, this election starting the Great Western Schism. In 1401, Count of Savoy Amédée VIII bought from Odon de Villars the rights on Genevois, which was incorporated to Savoy.
In 1434, Amédée VIII, following the French model, made of Genevois an
apanage granted, together with Faucigny, to his
son Philippe. Ten years later, Philippe died without a heir and the
apanage was reincorporated to the Duchy.
The second apanage of Genevois was granted to Janus (1460-1491) and was organized as an autonomous state. The prince set up a court in Annecy, as well as a Private Council, a Resident Council and a Chamber of Accounting.
The third apanage of Genevois was granted in 1514 by Charles III to his son Philippe. In 1528, the Count of Genevois was granted the Duchy of Nemours by the King of France. Genevois was de facto independent from Savoy and was not involved in the wars of the time. During the French occupation (1536-1559), Genevois kept its independence and its ruling court, the Council of Genevois. The Counts of Genevois spent most of their time in the Court of France and often struggled with the Dukes of Savoy.
In 1659, Jeanne-Baptiste de Savoie-Nemours married duke Charles-Emmanuel II and Genevois was eventually incorporated to Savoy.
Ivan Sache, 6 January 2004
A seal of the Count of Geneva, kept in the Departmental Archives of
Haute-Savoie, shows a checkered seal made of nine pieces. The apanagist
counts used a similar shield, checkered of nine pieces or and azure.
The modern banner of Genevois follows the same pattern, the pieces being rectangular when the flag is made in porportion 2:3.
The pieces of the banner of arms of Genevois are used in the municipal flag of Avully, while a few other municipal flags in the Canton of Geneva are mostly yellow and blue.
Ivan Sache, 6 January 2004