Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: seine-et-marne | bussy-saint-georges |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bussy-Saint-Georges - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 14 October 2006
The municipality of Bussy-Saint-Georges (15,189 inhabitants in 2004 - Buxangeorgiens; 1,528 ha) is located east of Paris in the sector III (Val de Bussy) of the ville nouvelle of Marne-la-Vallée.
In the XIXth century, Bussy-Saint-Georges was a rural village, with
hardly 500 inhabitants. Decrees signed on 6 June 1826 and 15 August
1827 transferred parts of the municipal territory to the neighbouring
municipalities of Ferrières and Jossigny, respectively. Recently, the
municipal territory was increased with 180.5 ha taken from the
municipalities of Bussy-Saint-Martin, Collégien and Ferrières.
Bussy was known in the Middle-Ages as Villa Buxido. Bussy-Saint-Georges and Bussy-Saint-Martin were separated in the XIIIth century; beforehand, the two villages formed a single domain ran by the lords of Bussy.
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2006
The municipal flag of Bussy-Saint-Georges was seen there
near the war memorial. It is white with the municipal emblem.
The PR department of the municipality kindly provided the meaning of the logotype. The vertical red stripe represents the recent development of the new boroughs of Bussy along the "backbones" made by the railway and the A4 highway. The gradation in the colours represents the progress towards the future. The building is the city hall of Bussy.
A scale map of the town shows that the municipal territory has indeed a triangular shape, but "horizontal": the railway and the highway cross Bussy in the west-east direction and are located in the south of the town; the A4 is mostly the limit of Bussy with the neighbouring town of Ferrières.
Olivier Touzeau && Ivan Sache, 14 October 2006