This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Côtes-d'Armor (Department, France)

Last modified: 2017-08-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: côtes-d'armor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[CoFlag]

Flag of Côtes-d'Armor - Image by Jorge Candeias, 8 September 2002


See also:


Administrative data

Code: 22
Region: Bretagne
Traditional provinces: Brittany (traditional Breton provinces of Goëllo-Penthièvre and Trégor)
Bordering departments: Finistère, Ille-et-Vilaine, Morbihan

Area: 6,878 km2
Population (2006): 570,861 inhabitants

Préfecture: Saint-Brieuc
Sous-préfectures: Dinan, Guingamp, Lannion
Subdivisions: 4 arrondissements, 52 cantons, 373 communes.

As requested by the General Council in 1962, the department changed on 27 February 1790 its name from Côtes-du-Nord (North Coasts) to Côtes-d'Armor. In Breton, armor, "the sea", was used to name all parts of Brittany close to the coasts, as opposed to argoat, "the land", used to name the inner parts of the country.

Ivan Sache, 11 November 2009


Flag of the department

In 1985, the Alexandre agency created a rectangular logo, which was adopted the same year as the flag of the department of Côtes-du-Nord.
Blue symbolizes sea while green symbolizes land, the white "stripe" representing a stylized seagull and also the outline of the coast. The flag is always used without letterings.
When the name of the departement changed in 1990, the flag remained unchanged, a car sticker was offerred to all voters of the department, and every town hall was offerred a 1.20 x 1.80 m flag. The operation has been very successful so that the flag is now seen all over the departement.

Source: Les drapeaux bretons de 1188 à nos jours [rau98]

Ivan Sache, 8 September 2002


Former, unofficial flag of the department

[Former flag]

Former, unofficial flag of the department - Image by Jaume Ollé, 8 September 2002

In the 1960s, Mr Morvan, the Head of the Technical Center of the municipality of Saint-Brieuc, designed a flag of the department of Côtes-du-Nord.
The flag has a yellow border and is horizontally divided blue-white by a zigzag line. The line represents the coast of the department, the central triangle symbolizing Bay of Saint-Brieuc. The six ermine spots placed in the white field symbolize Brittany.

Manufactured in 2 m x 2.50 m size, the width of the yellow border being 10 cm, the flag was used, unofficially, only in Saint-Brieuc, in public places. Its main use was associated with the Foire des Côtes-du-Nord, a fair organized each year in September. The flag was seen there for the last time in 1994.

Source: Les drapeaux bretons de 1188 à nos jours [rau98]

Ivan Sache, 8 September 2002


Communauté de Communes Sud Goëlo

[Sud-Goelo]

Flag of the Communauté de Communes Sud Goëlo - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 September 2012

The Communauté de Communes Sud Goëlo (official website) is an intermunicipal authority formed by the six municipalities of Binic (3,5151 inhabitants), Étables-sur-Mer (2,944 inh. in 2009), Lantic (1,430 inh.), Plourhan (1,927 inh.), Saint-Quay-Portrieux (3,326 inh.) and Tréveneuc (749 inh.), located in northern Brittany, between Saint-Brieuc and Paimpol.
The Communauté de Communes Sud Goëlo succeeded on 7 March 2001 the District Sud Goëlo, which itself had succeeded in 1999 the District de Saint-Quay-Portrieux/ Binic - Canton d'Étables-sur-Mer.

The flag of the Communauté de Communes Sud Goëlo (photo, Ouest-France, 11 July 2012) is white with the logo in the middle.

Ivan Sache, 9 September 2012