Last modified: 2013-12-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: european coal and steel community | ecsc | stars: 6 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of ECSC - Image by Jan Oskar Engene, 1 May 1996
The members of the ECSC were:
The ECSC was founded in 1951 by the Treaty of Paris, and later
merged with the European Community.
The ECSC officially lowered its flag on 23 July 2002, as the ECSC treaty expired that day. The flag was lowered in real by Romano Prodi, President of the European Union Commission, in Brussels. Prodi hoisted the flag of the European Union instead.
Marcus Schmöger & Mark Sensen, 23 July 2002
The flag of the ECSC is horizontally divided blue-black with three yellow stars on each stripe. It was first introduced for the World Expo in Brussels in 1958.
Blue stands for steel, black for coal, while the stars represent the original six member states.
Jan Oskar Engene, 1 May 1996