Last modified: 2016-05-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: san martín de la vega |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Martín de la Vega - Image by Blas Delgado, 12 October 2005
The municipality of San Martín de la Vega (19,092 inhabitants in 2014; 10,593 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Community of Madrid, 25 km of Madrid
San Martín de la Vega was first mentioned, as San Martín, in a document dated 1239; the village was probably named for St. Martin of Tours, to whom the parish church was dedicated until 1579. The village was subsequently renamed San Martín de la Vega del Jarama; the local tradition says that the village was established by a man from Alcalá de Henares, named Martín, who erected a house in the plain (vega) of river Jarama. Historical sources, however, show that the village was indeed founded by colonists coming from the San Martín parish in Segovia.
In the 15th century, the Catholic Monarchs separated San Martín, Titulcia and Ciempozuelos from Segovia, granting the towns in 1480 to Andrés Cabrera, Marquis of Moya, and to his wife, Beatriz de Bobadilla. Segovia attempted to obtain the return of the transferred towns, to no avail: on 12 June 1592, Diego Cabrera Fernández de Bobadilla y de la Cerda, Count of Chinchón and grand nephew of the 1st Count of Chinchón and Marquis de San Martín de la Vega, was confirmed in his rights, provided he transfers other territories to Segovia.
At the end of the 17th century, the 5th Count of Chinchón died without male heirs; San Martín de la Vega was transferred to his cousin, Isabel de Castro. Different lords ruled the domain, until the County of Chinchón was purchased in 1738 by Infante Philip of Bourbon, Philip V's son.
San Martín de la Vega was transferred in 1801 from the Province of Segovia to the Province of Madrid.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo) and arms of San Martín de la Vega are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 18 July 1986 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 20 August 1986 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 197, pp. 1-2 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular panel, yellow with a bretessed black border on the obverse and reverse.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Or a goat passant sable a bordure bretessed of the same, 2. Sable a lion winged or lying on a book of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms. The upper quarter is made of the canting arms of the Cabrera, a lineage of local significance. The lower quarter alludes to St. Mark, to whom is dedicated a chapel located in the outskirts of the town.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1986, 183:3, 529]
The flag, adopted on 29 August 1984 by the Municipal Council, was designed by the late Vicente de Cadenas y Vicent, King Chronicler of Arms.
Ivan Sache & Santiago Dotor, 25 July 2015