Last modified: 2016-05-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: navalagamella |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Navalagamella - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The municipality of Navalagamella (2,465 inhabitants in 2014; 7,605 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-west of the Community of Madrid, 40 km of Madrid.
Navalagamella is named for the Roman, Iberian or Celtic prefix nava-, meaning "a pasture surrounded by mountains", and for the suffix gamella, from Latin gamellus, meaning "a plate", here referring to the shape of the pasture where the village was established, or "hazardous for animals", here referring to the great number of flints found on the municipal territory.
Navalagamella, reconquerred in 1086 from the Moors by King Alfonso VI, was incorporated in 1088 to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia. The town was first documented around 1350, in Alfonso XI's Libro de la Montería.
Navalagamella and the hamlet of La Aldea de los Degollados were granted the status of villa on 19 May 1626; the town counted then 845 inhabitants. La Aldea de los Degollados, depopulated long ago, is said to have been named for a monastery of the Order of the Temple whose monks were throated (degollados); there is, however, no evidence, either historical or archeological, of such a monastery.
Navalagamella is the birth place of the brothers Juan and Miguel Álvarez, who established in 1563 the first pharmacy in the Royal monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial and were appointed in 1573 Royal Pharmacists by Philip II.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015
The flag of Navalagamella (photos, photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 3 June 1999 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 25 June 1999 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 149, p. 33 (text), and on 14 August 1999 in the official Spanish gazette, No. 194, p. 30,321 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Red from the upper left angle to the center of the panel and purple from the lower right angle to the center of the panel. In the center is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Navalagamella is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 October 1988 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 21 November 1988 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 277, p. 2 (text), and on 12 December 1988 in the official Spanish gazette, No. 297, p. 34,954 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert three sheep passant argent 2 and 1, 2. Gules a two-storeyed aqueduct argent masoned sable on ten rocks of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2015