Last modified: 2016-05-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: fuentidueña de tajo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fuentidueña de Tajo - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 July 2015
The municipality of Fuentidueña de Tajo (2,026 inhabitants in 2014, 6,060 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-east of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Toledo), 60 km of Madrid.
Fuentidueña de Tajo was once known as Fonticulam, Fons Domine, Fuente de la Dueña and Fuentidueña de Ocaña. The village is of possible Roman foundation; parts of columns, coins and stone engraved with "MVLTIO PORTIO" have been found there. The settlement was first documented in Islamic sources, as a strategic place named Alharilla. After the reconquest of Toledo from the Moors in 1085, Alfonso VI transferred the place to the Order of St. James.
The castle of Fuentidueña, known since the 11th century, was offered by Alfonso VI to his wife Zaida, the daughter of the Moorish king of Seville. Alfonso VIII redacted his last will in the castle.
Fuentidueña was granted the status of villa in 1328. Fuentidueña was a main point of crossing of river Tagus, once equipped by a cable ferry.
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2015
The flag (photos, photo, photo) and arms of Fuentidueña de Tajo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 February 1990 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 28 March 1990 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 74, p. 4 (text) and on 9 June 1990 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 138, p. 16,137 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Coat of arms: Or a fess wavy azure ensigned with a castle [gules] masoned sable port and windows azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols "without
any inconvenience". The arms represent the castle, of Arab origin, and
river Tagus. The presence of castle, towers and other remains of
fortifications, so common in Spanish municipalities, is logically
highlighted on the local coat of arms. The description given by the
Academy includes a banner vert charged with a crescent argent hoisted
on the donjon of the castle, which appears to have be omitted in the
arms eventually adopted. Moreover, the description states that the
castle is gules, which was, for sure inadvertently, dropped in the
The Academy also validated the proposed flag, deemed "very simple".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1989, 186, 2: 318]
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2015