Last modified: 2014-03-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: linares |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Linares - Image by Blas Delgado & Eduardo Panizo, 23 October 2005
The municipality of Linares (60,740 inhabitants in 2013, therefore the 2nd most populous municipality in the province; 19,750 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-east of Jaén.
Ivan Sache, 9 August 2009
The flag of Linares is horizontally divided yellow-green-white-red-blue with the town's coat of arms on the white stripe.
There is no specific reference to the flag in the Municipal Archives. However, the local historian Federico Ramírez explains in Apuntes (Chapter XVI) that the flag is "yellow, green, white, red and blue with the coat of arms of Linares in the center", and that such a local flag was used in 1666 during a procession of the Virgin of Linarejos. The colours appear to be taken from the shields used by the defenders of the castle of Linares, shown in the St. Mary church and confirmed by the historian Argote de Molina: red and yellow for Gil Ramírez de Dávalos, white and blue for Olid and Poblaciones. The green colour was probably added to the flag to recall that Linares was once ruled by the Arabs, from which the town was re-conquerred in the 18th century.
The flag of Linares has been kept for a few years by the Brotherhood of the Patron Saint of Linares, which uses it in processions. More recently, the municipal administration started to use it in local events, with horizontal stripes.
Santiago Dotor & Ivan Sache, 23 November 2001