Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: juviles |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Juviles - Image after the Símbolos de Granada website, 21 May 2014
The municipality of Juviles (172 inhabitants in 2008; 1,500 ha; municipal website) is located in the central Alpujarra Mountains, at an elevation of 1,255 m, 100 km south-east of Granada.
The fortress of Juviles (then written Jubiles), seized from the Christians by Abdarrahman III in the middle 10th century, was a Morisco stronghold in the Alpujarra Wars (1499-1551 and 1568-1570). In his Historia de la rebelión y castigo de los Moriscos del Reino de Granada, Luis de Mármol Carvajal relates the events that took place there in Chapters XI (How the places of the Taha of Jubiles rose up and their description), XVIII (How the Marquis of Mondéjar stepped at the castle of Jubiles and the Moorish chiefs left without fighting) and XX (How the Christians occupied the castle of Jubiles and killed the people who had surrendered the same night).
Ivan Sache, 1 July 2009
The flag and arms of Juviles, adopted on 28 April 2008 by the Municipal Council and submitted the same day to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 May 2008 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 28 May 2008 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 105, pp. 60-61 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 3:2 (length to hoist), divided in three horizontal stripes with proportions 1:2:1, the central red and the outer blue. In the center, the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Gules a fortress argent masoned and port and windows sable surmounted by a crescent and a Greek cross argent. A chief azure a pomegranate or faceted gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The cross and crescent can be seen in the St. Sebastian church (16th century). The pomegranate (granada) is shown on an old coat of arms of the lords of the Taha of Juviles, Infantes Alí and Acre, sons of King Abulhacen and Soraya. The castle, from which remain 487 m of wall and seven towers, was suppressed in 1500 by order of the Catholic Monarchs.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 1 July 2009