Last modified: 2014-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: burgos | castile and león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Burgos Province - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 June 2011, coat of arms form the website of the Provincial Administration
External site of interest:
Burgos Province (374,826 inhabitants in 2010; 14,292 sq. km) is located in the northeast of Castile and León.
Ivan Sache, 4 June 2011
According to Manual del Estado Español (text), the flag of Burgos Province (photo), which has not been officially adopted yet but has been used since 1979, is "purple with the provincial coat of arms in the center".
Pascal Vagnat, Ivan Sache & Santiago Dotor, 4 June 2011
Coat of arms of Burgos Province - Image by Santiago Dotor, 6 October 2004
The coat of arms of the Burgos Province (description), adopted on 9 November 1877, is "Per pale, 1. Argent the bust of a king proper wearing a dalmatic gules charged with three castles or a bordure gules charged with 16 castles or, 2. Gules a castle or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed."
The king is Ferdinand III the Saint, wearing an open crown of the time; the three castles on his dalmatic represents the jurisdiction exerted by Burgos on Lara, Muño and Cellorigo. The castle of Lara was incorporated to Burgos in 1255 by Alfonso XI, as was the castle of Muño in 1332 by Alfonso XI; the castle of Cellorigo was incorporated to Burgos in 1370 by Henry II. The king is represented as caput castellae, which means the Head (as the ruler) of Castile, recalling that Burgos was once the capital of Castile and the seat of the Royal court. The sinister part of the shield is the traditional heraldic representation of Castile.
Pascal Vagnat, 16 July 1999