Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: saldaña de burgos | burgos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Saldaña de Burgos - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 February 2011
The municipality of Saldaña de Burgos (185 inhabitants in 2009; 815 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km of Burgos.
Saldaña de Burgos was most probably founded by colonists coming from Saldaña, a village located in the north of the today's Palencia Province. The (new) village was mentioned for the first time in 1057, as part of the alfoz (group of villages) of Burgos; an earlier settlement known as Saldañuela or Saldaña Menor seems to have been the original nucleus of the today's village. Saldañuela was mentioned on a document of the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery dated 1044; the document registers the sale of a vineyard, which indicates that an organized settlement already existed at the time. Later on, King Alfonso VI transferred all his rights on Saldaña to the San Pedro de Cardeña monastery; the document was signed by the king and several dignitaries, including the Cid Campeador and diverse bishops. The move from the realengo (Royal domain) to the abadengo (abbey's domain) status significantly contributed to the development of Saldaña.
In the 16th century, the domain of Saldañuelo was created for the controversial Isabel Cartagena de Osorio, who maintained a long romance with King Philip II, expecting to marry him soon or late. The villagers of Saldaña attempted to prevent her to build a big palace on their lands, to no avail; when the palace was achieved in 1560, they took revenge by nicknaming it la casa de la puta del rey (the house of the king's whore). The rumor spread in the court that the king had funded the building of the palace with 6,800 ducats taken from the Royal treasure. Of unknown architect, the palace was designed in Renaissance style with strong Italian influence. Yet another rumor claims that the painter Titian used Isabel as the model, and, especially, her buttocks, in two paintings representing Venus and Adonis, today in the Prado Museum, Madrid (Diario de Burgos, 15 March 2009).
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2011
The flag and arms of Saldaña de Burgos, adopted on 24 October 2000 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 8 February 2001 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 15 February 2001 by the President of the Government, and published on 28 February 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 42, p. 3,356 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1. Tricolor. Three vertical stripes, At first, a stripe of 0.30 [of the flag's hoist] in width, green; second, a stripe of 0.40 in width, white; third a stripe of 0.30 in height, red. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Tierced per pale, 1. Vert in chief two command batons argent per saltire in base three spikes or, 2. Argent a Latin cross voided sable a fleur-de-lis azure, 3. Gules a castle of Castile charged with St. Peter's keys (or and argent) ensigned with two eight-pointed stars. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2011mailme.html