This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kohtla-Jarve (Ida-Virumaa, Estonia)

Kohtla-Järve linn

Last modified: 2013-12-09 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: kohtla-jarve | ida-virumaa | jarve | sun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by Ivan Sache , 26 January 2000


See also:

Other Sites:


Overview

From <http://www.estpak.ee/~kjlv/uk.htm> (defunct):
The town Kohtla-Jarve received its name from the name of two villages - Kohtla and Jarve. Kohtla-Jarve is one of youngest modern towns of Estonia. It received its designations as a town 50 years old, after transformation and merging of town Johvi with workers’ settlements, in which mainly chemists and miners lived. Being the large industrial centre of republic, Kohtla-Jarve during all these years has been made for domestic needs and on export chemical products, received at oil shale processing, building materials, products of furniture industry, ready-made sewing articles. The area of town, after transformation of Johvi and Kivioli into separated townships in 1991, makes 46 square kilometres, the population amounts to 54 thousand people. The town has tight economic connections with many regions in Estonia and abroad. This is due to a profitable location of town and its part in Ida-Viru county region, along, railroad and highway, connecting Tallinn with Narva and St.-Petersburg, and through their seaports with many other consumers and suppliers of production and raw material outside Estonia. The town consists of various parts, which were built mainly after World War II near of working mines (some of them are working still), enterprises for oil shale processing, power stations, peat industry. These parts are Vanalinn (Old town), Käva, Järve, Ahtme, Kukruse, Iidla, Oru, Sompa, Sirgala, Viivikonna. They are situated apart from each other at the distance from 2 up to 40 kilometres. Adopted: 6 March 1995
Dov Gutterman
, 25 June 1999

Flag adopted 6 March, 1995. Golden color and flames refers to oil-shale. Blue refers to the Jarve village which gave the name to the town (Estonian jarv is lake). Number of flames refers to two events in the history of town. 1916 - starting of the mining of oil-shale. 1946 - Kohtla-Jarve got rights of town. Sloping line refers to the mines ant artificial hills.
Erki Kurrikoff, 6 April 2001


Coat of Arms


image from <www.rk.ee>, located by Dov Gutterman