This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kenya-Uganda Railways and Harbours Authority

Last modified: 2014-04-13 by bruce berry
Keywords: kenya | uganda | railways & harbours |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:

Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours Blue Ensign (1937-1949)

[Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours badge] image by Martin Grieve, 02 May 2003

Two flags were used by the Kenya-Uganda Railways and Harbours Authority : a defaced Blue Ensign for use at sea, and a plain blue flag with the badge centrally positioned upon it for land-use.
Martin Grieve, 01 May 2003

On 03 December 1936 the Office of the High Commissioner for Transport, at Government House, Nairobi wrote to the Colonial Office requesting a Blue Ensign, defaced with the badge of the Administration, for its harbour craft, lake steamers and headquarters in Nairobi.   Normally a Public Office in a colony would have used a Blue Ensign defaced with the badge of the colony.  In this case however, under Orders in Council of 16 December 1925, 20 December 1927 and 13 August 1935, the working and management of the Kenya and Uganda Railway and Harbours Administration was vested in a High Commission for Transport, a 'Corporation Sole', consisting of officers administering the Governments of Kenya and Uganda acting jointly.  Existing regulations did not cover two colonies having a joint administration; the vessels could not fly the Kenya Blue Ensign nor the Uganda Blue Ensign.

After consulting the Admiralty the Colonial Office wrote to Nairobi (08 March 1937) that the badge on a Blue Ensign had been approved by the King for use on lake-steamers, harbour launches and the Administration Building in Mombassa.  It was not approved for the headquarters in Nairobi where the badge should be set on a plain blue flag.  "Port Authority" might be written on the ensign flown ashore in Mombassa.

An amendment plate, 20a, headed 'East Africa', was produced for the Colonial Office book 'Flags, Badges and Arms'.  It included the note; 'No white circle.  On Blue Ensign as shown'.
[National Archives (PRO) CO 323/1377/4.]

The badge was used until February 1949 when the Administration was also made responsible for the railways and harbours in Tanganyika and its name changed to East African Railways and Harbours Administration.  A new badge which combined the badges of Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika was adopted.
David Prothero, 02 May 2003


Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours land flag (1937-1949)

[Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours landflag] image by Martin Grieve, 02 May 2003
 

Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours badge

[Kenya-Uganda Railways & Harbours badge] image by Martin Grieve, 01 May 2003