Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: national olympic committee | nationales olympische komitee | nok | ddr | olympics | circles: 5 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jens Pattke
Flag adopted 1974, abolished 1990
The National Olympic Committee (NOC) of the German Democratic Republic was established on 22 April 1951 and used a NOC flag from 1974 to 1990. A white flag with the East German NOC emblem outlined in golden and top and bottom stripes each with a white laurel branch. Up to 1974, the East German NOC used the German flag with the white olympic rings.
In 1956, East German athletes took part for the first time in both Olympic Games. The GDR became an official member of the International Olympic Committee in 1968 (since 1955 it was an unofficial member with observer status). At the time of the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico and Grenoble, the state flag of the GDR was not yet welcome, so even though there was no longer a joint team with West Germany, the GDR team had to participate under the German flag with the white olympic rings. After 1972 (and until 1974) the East German team participated under the East German flag.
Jens Pattke, 28 December 2001