This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Harburg county (Germany)

Landkreis Harburg, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: harburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Harburg County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 23 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 15 Jul 1988

See also:

Harburg county

County: Harburg
county seat: Winsen (Luhe).
area: 1,244.64 qkm
population: 242,748
divisions: 42 municipalities, incl. 36 in 6 Samtgemeinden*, 2 towns
*A "Samtgemeinde" (SG*), also called "collective municipality" is a combination of several municipalities to an administrative community  in Lower Saxony.
Jörg Majewski, 23 Dec 2007

CoA

[Harburg County arms] image by Jörg Majewski, 23 Dec 2007
adopted 3 Apr 1928

HARBURG
Additions : 1932 Winsen
Origin/meaning:
The arms were granted on 3 April 1928.
The lion in the arms is the lion of the Dukes of Lüneburg, a branch of the Welfen family. One of the branches of this family named itself after the city of Winsen, at present the capital of the district. The original capital, Harburg, is now part of Hamburg. The lion holds a key, which is the symbol of Bremen. The area was in the early Middle Ages one of the strongholds of the archbishops of Bremen, who were later succeeded by the Welfen family.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.