This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Sankt Georgen im Schwarzwald (Germany)

Stadt Sankt Georgen im Schwarzwald, Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: sankt georgen | st.george |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Sankt Georgen im Schwarzwald banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Jun 2013 See also:

City of Sankt Georgen

Sankt Georgen City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the banner.
Source: Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Jun 2013

Sankt Georgen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The arms are canting, showing in a red shield St. George, killing a green dragon by a black lance. St. George is dressed in golden (= yellow) armour, mounted on a silver (= white) horse with golden (= yellow) bridles.
Meaning:
The village developed around the St. Georgen Abbey and gained market rights in 1500 and in 1891 city rights. The oldest seal of the town dates around 1600 and displays saint and dragon. The saint is displayed as a standing knight, holding a shield with a cross and a lance. After 1806 the shield of Baden was added. Since 1891 the saint was displayed mounted in natural colours.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.91

The details of the coat of arms were fixed in 1958 and noted by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg on 15 August 1958. Until 21 November 1962 the city had the name "Sankt Georgen" and was renamed one day later, published in GABl 481/1962.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 Jun 2013


back to Schwarzwald-Baar cities and municipalities click here